Steps To Build the Right Team
Starting a business is one thing, but growing that business is something very different. As you grow, if you don’t have the right team with you, you won’t be able to succeed.
Here are some tips on developing a solid team:
- Give Out Personality Tests – Before hiring people, we suggest giving them a DISC test. DISC stands for Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Compliance. If you are categorized as a Dominance and hire someone with the same category, that may set the stage for disaster.
- Test Skills – Just because someone has something listed on their resume, doesn’t mean that they are proficient in that area. Make sure to give them a test – writing, graphics, etc. We suggest doing it on the spot and seeing how they handle pressure. If the work product rocks, you know you have a winner.
- Make Sure the Interview Process Has Layers – Remember, you can’t determine if it’s the right fit by having one interview. We suggest having multiple interviews. This will give you an opportunity to get to know the person better and hire slowly.
- Hire People You Like – If you don’t see yourself going out to dinner with them, then they probably aren’t the right fit. In order to cultivate a community of likeminded adults who work well together, you need to first “like” each other.
- Have Weekly/Bi-Weekly Staff Meetings – It’s important to keep everyone in the loop. Holding staff meetings on a regular basis keeps your employees engaged and gives them the chance to better understand the process. You should even consider providing them with financial information about the company so that they understand what is happening and how to make improvements.
- Give Feedback – Make sure to give your staff feedback either through a formal evaluation or on an on-going basis. This will help them improve and it will enhance the relationship between supervisor and employee.
- Hold Annual Celebrations – Remember to celebrate your accomplishments. No accomplishment is too small! You wouldn’t be anywhere without your staff so let them know you appreciate them. We’ve had some crazy celebrations like staff helicopter rides, rock climbing parties, spa days and more. Be creative. Your staff will appreciate it.
Remember to hire slow and fire fast. If it doesn’t work, you will know within the first few weeks. And, most importantly, just a little love will go a long way when it comes to building the right team that will last a long time.